Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Ahhh... 2007

That was one of my first thoughts as we were dancing and watching a fireworks display with thousands of celebrants at the Calabar stadium at midnight. The governor of Calabar organized this month-long free party at the stadium with different performers every night, in a commendable effort of promoting Cross River State as the tourist destination of Nigeria. I wouldn’t have made it this far if not for the incredible support of the other volunteers, both CERCOPAN and VSOs. Between 3 months to 2 years, depending on their term, they have all widened my mind and given me strength and encouragement.
Thank you.
When i first arrived, I met not only the CERCOPAN volunteers but also those from Pandrillus, another monkey organization working with chimps and drills. Social life in Calabar usually consists of volunteers and other expats from other NGOs getting together for beer and streetfood at a bushbar.
The CERCOPAN volunteers who arrived at about the same time as I did... they're all gone now but they were my friends for the first year... and probably beyond, though we're all geographically apart.

Pete and Jess, who arrived from the UK in their landrover, helped alleviate my insanity for 6 months when they volunteered to help out in Rhoko.

Jon, the surfer dude who could really relate to my missing the ocean, who taught us how it was perfectly fine to crash parties in the village, and who made sure I had decent supply of clean water during the dry season (bless his soul!). And Tony, who will lead his countrymen to be development-oriented Nigerians.

Geraint, who was my first house guest and was a real sport trying to fit himself in a foot-too-short folding bed. He and Jonathan had this nice house in a neighboring village and I would always crash there. Being with these guys was a refuge, and Jonathan is an excellent cook! (that’s him watering his basil)

Heidi and Caroline have been a breather - I was really able to unload a lot of stress, including a lot of girl talk, and though we mostly whined to each other, it's great to have girlfriend support!

Si Manong at si Ate - Hermes who happens to speak Ilonggo (YES!), and Amie, with whom I feel like I am the Ate. They've basically taught me more about Filipino life and food more than I ever learned back home.

It's great to have a support group among VSO volunteers. Amy probably got me through the difficult times more than she realizes, and now she's even moved to Calabar! Pete and Mary I have adopted as parents whether they want me or not. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

iba ka na ba pagbalik mo dito, tanya? :) magsabi ka pag-uwi mo ha?