Monday, June 04, 2007

Changes

The remarkable changes I’ve seen:
1, We now have shiny new paper currency, half its original size! First time I saw it, I almost said to the taxi driver, what, you’re giving me a 20-euro change?!?
2, The bus from Abuja to Calabar (a 10-hour trip at least) is now airconditioned all the way. Of course that doesn’t mean it’s actually cool all the way.
3, Some parts of the highway have actually been fixed! Hallelujah! Probably the same phenomenon as roads in the Philippines when election time draws near…
4, Every single street in Calabar, even the most obscure, has a sign!
5, The motorcycle drivers (our equivalent to tricycles) are now required to register and wear helmets.
As for my village, it has now started raining heavily in the afternoons, and there are two new establishments, but other than that nothing has changed.

No comments: